Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Battle of the BB Creams: Drugstore vs. High End

Hello there! It looks like Tuesdays are going to be my usual blog posting days for the summer. In this post, I'm going to be reviewing two different BB Creams.



The first is the e.l.f. Studio BB Cream, which is a drugstore brand found at Target. The second is the Dr. Jart+ Black Label Detox Beauty Balm, which is a high end brand that can be found at Sephora. I have a few other BB creams from the drugstore, but this is the only one I have with SPF in it, which I wanted for a camping trip I'm going on in a couple of weekends. The one by Dr. Jart+ is the only high end BB cream I have, and it is also the only product from this brand that I have tried.

I mentioned both of these products in last week's blog post about my Summer 2015 Fashion/Beauty Haul, but I've been trying both of them out for a few weeks now.

If you don't know what a BB cream is, it is essentially a lightweight foundation that typically has less coverage but more skincare benefits than foundation. If you don't like how foundation feels on your skin, or you don't need very much coverage, a BB cream is definitely a great alternative to a liquid foundation.

In the pictures I show you, the only makeup I have on my face is a thin layer of the BB cream. I did not apply a primer underneath or any powder or concealer, and I rubbed the product in with my fingers because that's how I'll be using it on my camping trip.

 

Above are the before and after results of the e.l.f. BB cream. As you can see, it does not cover all of the imperfections on my skin, but it did a nice job of evening some of my redness, and it sort of had a blurring effect on my spots. The most amazing thing about this BB cream is that it is only $6 for 1.06 oz of product. It also has SPF 20. According to e.l.f., this product "primes, protects, moisturizes, and perfects your skin. It is infused with key anti-aging ingredients like Vitamin E, Jojoba, Aloe, and Cucumber to hydrate and nourish the skin. The smoothing formula minimizes fine lines and provides a natural tint of color for seamless coverage." 

The only downside of this product for me is that I tend to get pretty oily after a few hours of wearing it. I have combination/oily skin, and this is a hydrating BB cream, so it will not keep you matte all day. It is definitely buildable if you wanted to add a second layer for more coverage, and there are 6 shades in the range. I used the lightest color, which was "Fair."

 

Here are the before and after results of my skin with the Dr. Jart+ Beauty Balm. This one provided slightly more coverage in my opinion, but you can still see some spots around my chin peaking through. Again, like with the first BB Cream, I did not use any primer, concealer or powder, and I applied it directly to my skin with my fingers. Dr. Jart+ is known for their skincare products, and I was pleased to find that this did not irritate my sensitive skin whatsoever. It also has SPF 25, but it did cost $18 for the 0.66 oz sample size, and it only comes in one shade for light to medium skin.

"Perfect and protect skin instantly with this all-in-one multifunctional Beauty Balm. This triple-action formula naturally covers blemishes and uneven skintone, and contains botanical actives to purify and calm blemish-prone or irritated skin. Arbutin works to erase unwanted dark spots, while caviar extract and antioxidants protect skin from inner and outer pollutants for an enhanced radiance. Lightweight with sunscreen protection for simple, one-step neutralizing coverage, this soothing cream delivers optimal results for both women and men" (Sephora). 

This BB cream does stay on my skin longer than the e.l.f. BB cream, and it keeps my skin looking matte almost all day. The downside is obviously the price and the limited color range. The standard size 1.5 oz Beauty Balm costs $36, and I think the color is slightly more warm than the travel size.

All in all, both of these BB creams are great products, and everything is going to work differently on every different skin type. These are my reviews on how the products worked for my skin, and I do prefer the Dr. Jart: BB cream because it has a little higher SPF and it lasts longer on my skin, which will be nice when I'm out in the sun all day. The e.l.f. BB cream is a great product for everyday use, and the price seriously can't be beat. 

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to follow me on Twitter and Instagram if you want to see what I'm up to every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment